Sunday, September 13, 2009

Michael Wesch: A vision of students today

I think this film over exaggerated a bit. It just made college look so more depressing than it is in reality. I do agree that some of the things mentioned in the video are experiences that I have had in college. Even so, I felt this was a bias video because all it focused on was the negative. It didn't give any positives so that the viewer could make a fair assessment of today's college experiences. I realize that a majority of my classes don't use technology, but I can't say that I haven't learned anything. In fact, since I've been in college, the way I think and my perception of the world has changed. I find that the person I was when I graduated high school is completely different than I am today.

I do agree that I, just like most students, spend a lot of time on facebook and myspace. Another thing that struck a chord with me was how some students don't even bother showing up to class. I have seen that so many times. I don't know about anybody else, but I can't afford to pay all this money just to fail my classes. Overall, I have had a very good experience at South. I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world, but I don't feel like my education is a waste of time. Colleges do need revamping, but I don't believe that the whole educational system is completely flawed.

1 comment:

  1. How many classes have you had at South with 200+ students?

    I had a student tell me a year ago that her roommate NEVER attended a single class during that semester! Out of the 80 students in my classes this term, I have 4 that have never appeared but are still enrolled. I don't understand it either!

    ReplyDelete