Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Networked Student: Connectivisim

people networking icon
I thought this was a really cool way to show how students can use technology for learning. Students can take control over the learning process by researching, and accessing the tools through technology. It also gives them an opportunity to connect with others. Anyone can contribute new ideas, and information that will be useful to the world.

One point that the video made was the fact that the student didn't need a textbook. I can't tell you how many classes I've taken that wanted me to buy a book, and then we didn't even end up using it. That's so frustrating because the student loses so much money on textbooks. Most college students are not rich, and can not afford to buy things that are of no use. I was so grateful when Dr. Strange said that we didn't need a book for this course!!! Why waste money on textbooks when all the information you need can be found on the computer?

Click here to watch Ms. Drexler's video.

I want to be like the teacher on the video! Boring lectures and textbooks are not the answer for students. We need to be showing our students how to use the technology available so that they can function in the 21st century.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the textbook problem- it is so frustrating when you have to work two weeks of minimum wage job in order to buy one book, maybe, and then not even use it in class. What a waste of time, hard work, and hard earned money. I don't want to buy books if I can learn more from the web, for free!!! I do like books, but come on teachers, get with the program. They are out of date. Take the material, put it on the web, and make it free!
    Thanks for pointing this out Jamie, you rock.
    Dillon R

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess Dillon said it all: "You rock!"

    But I think I am so old that I may need an explanation of what that means. Nevertheless, I'll endorse it!

    ReplyDelete