Sunday, November 8, 2009

Michael Wesch: "A New Future of Whatever."

Whatever sign
Mr Wesch's comments about the youth today are completely true. I do come from a very "It's all about ME!" generation. I thought it was interesting how he talked about the different definitions of "whatever". To be honest,I've been guilty in the past of using "whatever" to describe my apathy towards things.I didn't realize how negative this was until I watched this video.

Another point he made was that people feel that the only way they can have a voice is through the media. He used the example of students in a classroom versus people standing in line auditioning for American Idol. The ones wanting to be on American idol were a lot more excited than those in the classroom. I think this is because students don't feel like their voice can be heard in the class. Where as, people believe that being on AI gives them the opportunity to be heard.

Using today's technology gives everyone an opportunity to have a voice. This seems to be missing in our schools which is why our students are not engaged. As a future teacher, I want my students to feel that their thoughts and ideas do matter. Hopefully, I can guide them in the direction of the last definition of "whatever"-"Let's do whatever it takes!"
Click here to view Mr. Wesch's video.

1 comment: