Sunday, November 29, 2009

EDM Fall 2009 Semester

The End
1.It's the end of the semester, and it's time to reflect on all I have learned. This has been a great course, and I think I have learned more in this class than any other.One thing I have learned is that blogging is great way to share ideas, and communicate with others. I didn't know anything about blogs before this class, and know I've found it to be an amazing tool. I feel like my professional blog will be useful in the future when I'm applying for a teaching position. Also, I think that I will have my students set up their own personal blogs because I know how much they can learn from having one. Wikis are pretty cool. I like that members of the wiki can add information to any topic. I'm not sure that I would use it though because it charges a fee. The presentations that we did in class were interesting. However, I'm not a big fan of talking about myself, Project 2, so I didn't really enjoy putting it together. I did enjoy hearing others give their presentations, and I feel that this will be useful in my classroom. It will help the students develop their public speaking skills.
Google Docs is amazing! I didn't realize how many ways you could use Google until this class. This will definitely be used in my classroom, and it I love that it is multifunctional. The Google spreadsheet and forms is another great tool to use in the class. Picasa is a great tool for pictures. I found this very useful when I was making my google presentation. The podcasts and videocasts were probably my favorite projects in the class. I really enjoyed getting to learn how to do those, and I was in a great group. I think these can be the most effective in the classroom because it's something that will get your attention.
Youtube was nothing new to me because I watch videos on it all the time. I think it's a great way to communicate with others because so many people watch Youtube.
I think my favorite post that I read was Mr. McClung's first year of teaching. It was very encouraging, and is helpful to all of those who are going into the teaching profession.
My PLN is still very small, but I have hope that it will continue to grow in the future. Twitter is really great, and I just created an account.
Comment4Kids is another thing that I enjoyed doing. It's great that these children are getting the opportunity to post their work online.
I use itunes all the time to download music, but I had never taken the time to look at itunes U. This is great for students who want to know what is going on in the classroom, and offers all kind of information. This is definitely the wave of the future. As far as accessibility issues; I do believe that some students just can't afford a computer/internet. That will definitely be a problem in the future if everything is placed on the computer. At this point, I'm not sure what the answer is.
We didn't cover much about Google Earth, but I do think that is great especially for a geography course. Delicious is kind of like a factoid site. It will have just about anything you ask for, and will organize the information.
Access and Alex will be something that I use for my classroom. It offers great activites and lesson plans. I also like how Access gives students the opportunity to take courses online. Foliotek wasn't very exciting. I understand why the state requires it, but it seems like they could come up with a better way. I'm glad Dr.Strange let us do it in class because it can be confusing sometimes.
Since I've taken this course; being technologically literate has become very important to me. I think the schools of the future will involve sitting at a computer, and taking your courses online. There will be fewer hours spent in the classroom. As far as my "intellectual trail", I think it's exciting that people can google you,and automatically see your blogs.

2. I learned a lot in this class, but I would like to learn more about Twitter and Picasa. Also, I wish that we had covered more on how to develop a PLN.

3. There's nothing that I would want to forget about in this class. All of it will help us be better teachers!

4. Yes, I think what made me really excited was seeing how Kaia's blog became such a big hit. It really showed me how many opportunities can open up when you use technology.

5.I thought making the podcast/project 11 was "intellectually challenging". It made us think outside of the box, and it wasn't something I had done before.

6. Some days were kind of boring. It was mainly because I don't like sitting in a chair for long periods of time. Maybe if we were moving around a bit more that would solve the problem. It would be really cool if this class became an online course.

7. I would change the amount of projects we do. This last month I felt like we were in warp speed trying to get everything done. It's not that I don't like the projects; it's just I wish we could have more time to focus on each one. I guess what I'm saying is compared to quantity vs. quality. I would rather have fewer projects so that I can put more time into making them better. That way I don't have to worry about rushing to get the next project done. Just my two cents(=.

8. I would say, at this point, that I have a good amount of knowledge about technology. I have definitely learned a lot!

9. I'm going to keep trying to build my PLN. Also, I will make sure that I keep up with all the new technology out there.
Click here to view the questions.

1 comment:

  1. Next semester much of the course will be online. My major fear is that students will put things off until the last minute. That will not work in this course.

    The above is also related to your sense of being rushed, especially at the end of the course. I can understand your comment, but when 3 students call or email me AFTER the original deadline for all work to be in and ask me how they should do their professional blog I lose most of my sympathy for the claim of "not enough time." Good teachers have to manage their time wisely. Some of the students in this class manage their time horribly.

    But the above is not directed at you. It just affects my understanding of what is possible. Anyway, your suggestion of more depth is understood and may be the correct way to go. Or at least give more freedom in the techniques used to do projects. I think that more videos would help. This would take more and earlier instruction. But I may try it next semester or next year. Thank you for your suggestions. They are certainly worthy of consideration.

    ReplyDelete